year was 1947, shortly after the end of World War II, Charles E. Knowlton
Sr., a Seattle resident since 1928, and his son, Mark A. Knowlton, pooled
their resources and purchased a modest eight-man "plant" the Dyno Battery
Company, which manufactured car batteries. Building on Dyno's already
established reputation for producing a quality product, Charles and Mark
embarked on a program to increase volume and product line.
1970, Charles retired from active participation in the family-owned
business. Mark, realizing that the market was expanding and the potential
was unlimited, moved the operation from a rented basement facility located
on the east side of Seattle's First Hill neighborhood, to its own building
near Fishermen's Terminal in Ballard. Since that time, the business has
grown from its original 10,000 sq. ft. to its present size embracing a
modern state-of-the-art manufacturing plant.
Carrying on the proud Knowlton tradition, Mark Allen Knowlton, Jr. joined
the company in 1985 on a full-time basis to serve in the capacity of
overseeing production and development. This family-owned Seattle based
plant is the only battery manufacturer in Washington state, the largest of
its type in the region, and serves not only the Pacific Northwest and Alaska
but also ships to distributors the world over.